State and municipal laws provide regulatory controls over the use and development of land. These laws impose a confusing process to obtain permits and approvals.
- If you are a developer, the maze of regulatory agencies presents compliance issues and poses hurdles to obtaining a return on your investment.
- If you are a neighbor, we can help find ways to reduce the negative impacts of proposed development, or prohibit it in certain locations.
At Douglas McDaniel & Campo our land use, zoning, and municipal law attorneys can:
- Obtain variances and subdivision approvals
- Prevent illegal subdivisions
- Participate in rezoning proceedings
Our attorneys will guide you through the whichever land use process your require, and implement a strategy to achieve your desired outcome.
Experienced Land Use, Zoning & Municipal Law Attorneys
Most zoning matters are resolved at the municipal board level. We have successfully:
- Represented a developer before the Windham Town Council in successfully rezoning an improperly mapped resource protection zone.
- Represented a landowner before the Town of Standish board of appeals in challenging a neighbor’s allegation that his building violated the zoning ordinance.
- Represented a neighbor opposed to a proposed subdivision in the Town of Kittery through the Planning Board process to ensure that all applicable standards were appropriately applied.
- Represented a landowner in the unorganized territories before the Maine Land Use Planning Commission (LUPC) to negotiate a satisfactory settlement of an alleged land use violation for a structure setback.
Qualified Appeals Lawyers
Occasionally these disputes are appealed to court. We are prepared to fight for you the way we fought for these clients:
- Scarritt v. Town of Frye Island, Cumberland County Superior Court
- We successfully appealed the Town’s improper grant of a setback variance to the client’s neighbor.
- Bodack v. Town of Ogunquit ME, Maine Supreme Court
- When the Town Planning Board approved a subdivision that failed to satisfy traffic standards, one of our attorneys successfully argued to the Superior Court that the Planning Board’s decision should be overturned. The developer appealed to the Law Court, who also found in the clients’ favor.
When involved in the complex regulations that surround land use, zoning and municipal laws, it is often in your best interest to obtain competent legal counsel.
Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we can help you.
We are located in Westbrook, ME, and proudly help clients in Augusta, Portland, Lewiston, South Portland, Bath, Brunswick, Bangor, Biddeford, Saco, Sanford, Belfast, Waterville, and beyond.