When a trial court, town board or governmental agency makes an unfavorable decision, you have a very short time to appeal. The attorneys of Douglas McDaniel & Campo will work with you to meet appeal deadlines and identify legal or factual errors that may help reverse a bad decision.
Experienced Appeals Attorneys
Our appeals attorneys have successfully argued cases in front of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and are admitted to appear before the United States First Circuit Court of Appeals. We routinely appear before municipal boards of zoning appeals.
We have represented clients in appeals before state and federal agencies, including:
- The Maine Board of Environmental Protection
- The State Board of Property Tax Review
- The Maine Human Rights Commission
- The Federal Immigration Office
Protecting Citizen Rights Through Appeals
Appeals lawyers at Douglas McDaniel Campo & Schools have a great deal of experience challenging decisions of municipal and state agencies in Maine’s Superior Courts and the Maine Supreme Court. A recent success that made state-wide headlines was the case of Friends of Congress Square Park et al. v. City of Portland, 2014 ME 63.
In the Friends of Congress Square Park appeal, Attorney Sarah McDaniel:
- Won an appeal in Superior Court that protected Portland citizens’ rights to put forward a referendum question to increase protection for city parks.
- Successfully defended that decision in the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, who ruled that the City of Portland violated the citizens’ constitutional rights.
Recent appeal wins at the Superior Court that were not appealed to the Law Court include:
- Smith et al. v. Town of Gorham, Cumberland County Superior Court (October 29, 2013)
- Successfully appealed the Town’s attempt to turn a private road into a public road by a faulty exercise of eminent domain.
- Scarritt v. Town of Frye Island, Cumberland County Superior Court (July 31, 2014)
- Successfully appealed the Town’s improper grant of a setback variance to the client’s neighbor.
Contact us today for a free consultation and find out how our accomplished appeal attorneys can help you.
We are located in Westbrook, ME, and proudly help clients in Augusta, Portland, Lewiston, South Portland, Bath, Brunswick, Bangor, Biddeford, Saco, Sanford, Belfast, Waterville, and beyond.